Pain is something that about 1 out of every 4 people in the United States deals with on a daily basis. According to the American Academy of Pain Medicine, pain affects more Americans than diabetes, heart disease and cancer combined.
With so many people affected, the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recently released its National Pain Strategy (NPS), outlining a coordinated plan for reducing the burden of chronic pain in the United States. This strategy includes a call for public education and communication, emphasizing that a greater understanding among the public and people dealing with pain is needed and appropriate treatments are key to a cultural transformation in pain care.
Being informed about pain and pain treatment is an important part of pain management. When it comes to understanding some of the complexities of pain, videos can help put information together in a simple, easily accessible way.
Sit back, relax, and prepare to learn about pain, because we’ve compiled a list of video resources that may be helpful in providing additional information on understanding pain and pain management tools.
Videos on Understanding Pain
- Understanding Pain is a quick 5 minute video which helps viewers understand the difference between acute and chronic pain.
- Want to understand how your brain responds to pain? This video explains your brain on pain and why some people respond differently to pain.
- Is pain an illusion? In Why Things Hurt, Lorimer Moseley ventures into how the brain responds to pain situations and protects us from further damage.
- This video from the American Chronic Pain Association explains how a person with chronic pain can be thought of like a car with four flat tires.
Videos on Pain Treatment
- Chronic pain can be a life changing experience. Pathways Through Pain: Priorities and Goals encourages people to set goals and establish priorities when managing chronic pain.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has an abundance of pain resources available to educate viewers on everything from prescription opioids to weighing the risks vs. benefits of opioid therapy.
- This 5-minute Relaxation Guide introduces how relaxation can help you let go of physical stress and begin to reduce your sense of suffering.
- American Chronic Pain Association offers several videos on medications and chronic pain, allowing you to select videos specifically fit for you and your plan. These videos include information on the role of medication, pain types, medications used for chronic pain, and medication safety.
As content topics in healthcare and workers’ compensation continue to grow, it’s imperative to use your best judgement when taking the advice from an internet article. Always consult with your healthcare provider, or an IWP Pharmacist, before making any changes to your medication routine or your treatment plan.
References to non-IWP sites on the Internet are provided as a service to IWP readers and do not constitute or imply endorsement of these organizations or their programs by IWP. IWP is not responsible for the content of pages found at these sites.